Bike Theft Prevention & Registration
Register Your Bike:
Please help our community combat the bicycle theft! You can register your bike with Bike Index at our shop. We have a handy QR code at the front desk. You can even scan it from this photo!
If your registered bike goes missing, mark it as lost or stolen to notify the entire Bike Index community and its partners. With the help of the Bike Index community and its partners, you have the information necessary to recover your lost or stolen bike at no cost to you.
Pass this information along to your friends and family all across the US. You’ll be doing them a favor.
You can register multiple bikes and transfer ownership.
Bike Index hales from Colorado Springs and is a fellow 501(c)3. It’s totally free and only takes a few minutes to set up an account.
Over 1,000 bikes a year are stolen in Boulder each year! Learn more about what you can do from this video featuring Community Cycles.
How to Properly Lock Your Bicycle
Tips for keeping your bike safe:
- ALWAYS lock up your bike.
- Use a U-Lock for the frame and back tire, and a secondary lock for the front tire. A U-Lock is recommended because bolt cutters can easily cut through a cable lock.
- Remove anything from your bike that can be easily taken, untied or cut off. This includes the seat and water bottles.
- Lock your bike in a public place, preferably with a lot of foot traffic, if you can’t keep it inside.
- Lower your gears to make it harder for someone to pedal off quickly.