If you are an experienced bike mechanic looking for a change, consider a job with Community Cycles!
Position Title: Production Manage
The Production Manager will lead a team of mechanics that produce safe, reliable refurbished bikes and parts in an efficient time frame for resale out of the retail shop of Community Cycles. While fostering an effective and engaging team environment and working with the Shop Director and Sales Manager to set pricing that is fair for customers and the organization.
- Extensive mechanic experience with a wide range of bike styles and their resale value to determine their destination.
- An understanding of predominantly older road bikes, mountain bikes, and hybrids.
- Knowledge of bike component compatibility is essential.
- An ability to quickly recognize unsafe, cracked, and bent frames that should not be built up.
Refurbishing donated bikes that are for sale in our shop. Managing the most cost-effective route for refurbishment by using new or used parts. Overseeing the flow/systems of refurbished bikes and used parts, including:
- Evaluating final destination for all Bikes/parts (recycled/refurbished/parted out/sold as is)
- Safety check/quality control of bikes built by other mechanics & volunteers to ensure they meet the high standards for safety and performance.
- Delegating specific projects to shop mechanics on a daily/weekly basis
- Overseeing and maintaining the production area cleanliness & keeping tools in order, as well as, maintaining an inventory of backstock parts (including special orders).
- Working on bicycle refurbishment as needed
- This position will involve working on your feet for up to 7 hours per shift as well as working some weekends and/or evenings.
- Fostering an engaging team environment through collaboration, sharing wins and successes, using an open-door approach, and inspiring everyone to perform at their best.
- Frequently providing actionable positive and corrective feedback to direct reports, both informally and formally.
- Timely and effectively dealing with low performers and being willing to make tough personnel decisions when needed.
- Communicating with Staff (email, spreadsheets, documentation)
- Investing significant time to help all direct reports grow and learn through challenging tasks and assignments.
- Coordinating with the sales manager and shop director for needs regarding parts, tools, supplies, etc.
- Involving in the Staffing of the production mechanic team, identifying and hiring strong talent for the team.
Production Manager should set a strong example for the other mechanics in terms of quality of builds and professional demeanor. Other mechanics should be able to look to the Production Manager’s work to learn the standards of work for bikes that we will sell at Community Cycles.
The Production Manager may be occasionally asked to oversee special events such as the Kids’ Holiday Bike Giveaway or offered the chance to pick up extra shifts working teaching or wrenching for outside organizations.
The Production Manager will be expected to attend mechanic-specific staff meetings where policies and implementation changes may be discussed.
Reports to: Shop Manager. Regularly works with the Sales Manager.
Compensation: Salary $35k to $43K to start
Hours: Part time (32) or Full Time (40)
Benefits: Paid time off. Health stipend if PM works 20 hours + a week. Simple IRA contribution.
Send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Job Closes 2/28/24