Thanks for checking out this program to see if an ebike is an option for you for transportation to work! This program is made possible with a generous grant by the Colorado Energy Office and in partnership with University of Colorado, Boulder Community Health, Small Planet eBikes, City of Boulder and Boulder County. It is designed to demonstrate that electric bikes (ebikes) are a safe, healthy, and convenient way to take essential trips around town.
- They are an effective tool for replacing motor vehicle trips – Owning an eBike is more affordable than car ownership.
- Ride greater distances and across harder terrain – Get to work, school and errands faster on an eBike than a conventional bike.
- Set aside worries about arriving sweaty at your destination
- Reduce your carbon footprint. Colorado needs your help to show the difference riding an eBike can make!
- Improve your health!
Are you eligible to participate?
- You work in Boulder County.
- You have a place to securely lock the ebike where you live and where you work.
- You must be available to attend orientation and receive your eBike on one of the following dates:
- June 8, 5-7pm, Downtown Boulder (exact location TBD Downtown)
- June 10, 9-11am, CU Boulder (exact location TBD on campus)
- June 13, 4-6pm, Boulder Community Health (Della Cava Parking Garage)
- June 14, 4-6pm, Boulder Community Health (Della Cava Parking Garage)
- June 17, 10am-12pm, Boulder Valley Education Association (1345 Plaza Ct N, Lafayette)
- June 20, 3-5pm, CU Boulder (exact location TBD on campus)
- Your income is in this range:
Expectations of participants
- First and foremost you are expected to use your ebike as your primary mode of transportation for getting to and from your job through June 2024. After that, you own the bike outright.
- This is a one year loaner-to-owner program requiring a fee of $250 to be paid in full before receiving your ebike. You may opt out of this program in the first 90 days and receive partial or full refund. After 90 days you may still opt out of the program and return the ebike and accessories, but the fee will not be refunded. The value of the bike and accessories is over $1500.
- You will provide feedback and data via a free mobile app and periodic check ins with Community Cycles staff through June 2024, to help shape the future of programs like this.
- Besides using your eBike to get to and from work, you will use the eBike for errands and other everyday trips, like grocery shopping, visiting friends and family and recreational activities.
- If for any reason you stop using the eBike as your main form of transportation, until the end of the 1 year program, you will return the eBike and all accessories.
- You will be required to take a 90 minute “Introduction to eBikes” class covering eBike laws and regulations, eBike Maintenance, battery management and safety, eBike best practices and safety. There will be multiple dates and locations throughout Boulder offered throughout the summer and fall of 2023.
- We are giving out 60 ebikes!
- Complete the application by May 21, 2023 (deadline extended for those who work in Downtown Boulder)
- We will notify you by May 26 if you have been accepted into the program.
- You must attend orientation in June, where you will receive your e-bike, get help planning routes, and generally make sure you are ready to ride.
The Bike: Aventon Pace
- The Aventon Pace is a Class 1 eBike which is “An electric bicycle that only provides assistance when the rider is pedaling; the motor ceases at 20 miles per hour (mph).”
- With large comfortable tires, the Pace gives you the ultimate balance in comfort and power. Featuring a relaxed, upright riding position and 5-levels of pedal assist plus throttle, this ride will keep the smile on your face all day long.
- To make trips easier and safer, participants receive accessories like a helmet, lock, basket or bike bag, lights and more!
- We will help you set up a free tune up with Small Planet eBikes at 150 miles and you will receive a 1-year Membership to Community Cycles, including an invitation to participate in classes and workshops on bicycle maintenance at low or no cost.
Information submitted in this application will be confidential and only used for the purposes of this program.
Please click here to fill out your application now.
Questions? Ask Sandee Cirian, Community Cycles Program Manager, email@example.com (Información en español)